Esoxdiver

Basic Clipping Problem

Discussion created by Esoxdiver on Nov 23, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 by BritishSteel
I'm not sure if anyone else has come across this problem or has a solution.  I am working on a project to determine habitat selection of Barn Owls.  I have their flight paths and positions layered over the USGS Land Cover (National Vegetation Classification - Formation Land Use) layer that I found from ArcGIS online.  I used the buffering tool to buffer the flight paths(lines) and I want to use the Clipping tool to punch out the portions on the vegetation layer that the owls fly over for analysis purposes.

Here's the problem: I used the USGS Land Cover (National Vegetation Classification - Formation Land Use) layer as the input features and the buffered owl flight paths as the clip features.  I get a 000840 : The value is not a <value> message and that "the value specified is not a correct input parameter for that particular tool". 

The Solution: Set the parameter to a value or field or file of the type specified in the error message.

My quesion(s): How do I go about doing this?  Is this possible with the USGS Land Cover (National Vegetation Classification - Formation Land Use) layer? Is it something to do with a raster/vector conversion?

Thank you for your help

Outcomes