how to select attributes from a LOCK or TIF file?

Jump to solution
11-16-2013 04:14 AM
ThomasSockel
New Contributor II
Hello!
I'm trying to find out, how many trees in a region died referred to the cardinal direction of the slope. Therefore i have a contour map of the elevation of the area and a point shapefile with the location of dead trees.
If I convert the the contour map to a TIN file, then i can calculate the aspect and select the dead trees based on the aspect. But I want to do it with a Grid file cause I think it's more correct. unfortunately it's not working.
I can convert the contour map to a grid and i can calculate the aspect from the grid, but unfortunately it's a LOCK file or a TIF file and I can't use it to select the cardinal direction to find the amount of dead trees per cardinal direction cause there is no attribute table to open.

Can somebody help me out?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasSockel
New Contributor II
thanks curtvprice! In which toolbox do I find this extract tool? I found a different solution: I can convert the tif/Lock file in "conversion tools" to points ("Raster to points"). Then I have a point grid with the aspect angle. After it i can convert the point raster to voronoi polygons, which didn't worked in ArcMap so i used QGis, which worked perfectly. Now I have a polygon Grid where i can select the aspect.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
I think you may be looking for the Extract Values To Points tool, which allows you to populate points with the value of the raster at that location.
0 Kudos
ThomasSockel
New Contributor II
thanks curtvprice! In which toolbox do I find this extract tool? I found a different solution: I can convert the tif/Lock file in "conversion tools" to points ("Raster to points"). Then I have a point grid with the aspect angle. After it i can convert the point raster to voronoi polygons, which didn't worked in ArcMap so i used QGis, which worked perfectly. Now I have a polygon Grid where i can select the aspect.
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
In which toolbox do I find this extract tool? I found a different solution: I can convert the tif/Lock file in "conversion tools" to points ("Raster to points"). Then I have a point grid with the aspect angle.

You get points for persistence!

You can find this tool by searching the Desktop help; "point values raster" brought up the two tools you're looking for.

Also, here's a more direct way to search for tools:

Desktop Help 10.2: A quick tour of finding tools

BTW - The lock file is not an image, it's a bookmark used by ArcMap to indicate that the data is open in an ArcMap layer. When you close ArcMap it is deleted.
0 Kudos
ThomasSockel
New Contributor II
You get points for persistence!

You can find this tool by searching the Desktop help; "point values raster" brought up the two tools you're looking for.

Also, here's a more direct way to search for tools:

Desktop Help 10.2: A quick tour of finding tools

BTW - The lock file is not an image, it's a bookmark used by ArcMap to indicate that the data is open in an ArcMap layer. When you close ArcMap it is deleted.

No, this doesn't work. I can't select the Lock or Tif file via spatial analyst --> extract values to points. But I think by transforming it back to point grid and than to voronoi polygons is also a good solution.
0 Kudos