njenson33

Find feature along route only calculating in 2D

Discussion created by njenson33 on Nov 15, 2013
Hello all,

I've searched the forums for an answer but have come up blank on this.

I create my route using a series of x,y,z attributed survey points, generate a M value, no problem.  Checked my From/To measures on the 3D polyline, they are set correctly (0.00 to 630), and my Trim to length value is the 619' like I expected.

So I have a 3D polyline (2x checked, 2D length is 619', 3D is 630'), yet when I then try to find features along the route, I noticed that the station points I am using are only calculated on the 2D route length, not the measure.

I found this discrepancy as near the beginning of the route my line has two 90 degree turns.  The first 90 is a ~6' on the line (elevation - 1115'), travels 8' (1107'), 90's again and then continues on to the next survey point 4' away from this 90. 

2D measure of this section of line is 10', 3D measure is 18'.

Yet, when I then turn around and try to find features along route as I have additional events on the line that I need to find the stationing as they occur on this line, the return dbf only is calculating on the 2D length.  Checked my From/To measures on the 3D polyline, they are set correctly, and my Trim to length value is the 619' like I expected.

For example, the station measure for the first 90 is 5.92, the second 90 is 5.93 (I slightly offset them in case it was causing error in overlapping the points), the next survey point station measure is 9.7.  All according to the Find feature along route.

Ideas?

It seems like a simple thing, but I have not seen anywhere in the environments of the tool, nor anywhere else to dictate whether to use the 2D or 3D length.

Outcomes