AGOL Terms of Use - Shared access to subscription - Allowed/Prohibited?

Jump to solution
11-14-2013 02:32 AM
MaximSilin
New Contributor III
Good day, Everyone!

A client of mine has asked me a question on whether or not it would be possible for them to have an AGOL subscription for their organization, and share it with external clients (i.e. if they have 5 named users: 3 from within their company, and 2 used by external clients that do not belong to their organization). I recall reading somewhere that such a practice would be against AGOL terms of use. Nonetheless, I may be wrong. If I am correct, though, I can't seem to find any formal documentation on this particular matter anywhere on the web. Could someone please point me to such documentation if it exists?

Thanks,
Max
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Max,

If you purchase the Organization you can invite anyone you want, they do not need to have a subscription as well. The term headless account refers to generic log ins that are shared. So if you create a user called Contractor1 and distribute the credentials for Contractor1 to anyone to log in. Instead of creating the account Contractor1, you should invite the individual who will be accessing content and doing work. So in this case, an invitation is sent to James Smith and the jamessmith account is created for him to access the Subscription.

If you still have detailed questions on this, I would highly encourage you to contact your Esri Account Manager. They are available to answer any of your licensing questions.

Cheers,
Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Max,

You can invite users, such as contractors, to an organization without any issue. Where it can get into violating the terms of use is when headless accounts are created and shared between individuals.

Documentation on licensing and terms of use can be found here:
http://www.esri.com/legal/software-license

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MaximSilin
New Contributor III
...where it can get into violating the terms of use is when headless accounts are created and shared between individuals.

Documentation on licensing and terms of use can be found here:
http://www.esri.com/legal/software-license

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the prompt response. Well, I guess I'd ask you to elaborate on the above a bit. In particular, what is considered a "headless account"? For instance, if my client buys an AGOL subscription for 5 named-users, and provides 1 or 2 of those to their end-user (from another organization, who do not have an AGOL subscription themselves), in order for the latter to see the results of the analysis and maps that have been created. In other words, two organizations will be using single AGOL subscription - will this be a violation?

As for the legal documentation, would you be able to point to a particular section pertaining to AGOL usage?

Thanks,
Max
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Max,

If you purchase the Organization you can invite anyone you want, they do not need to have a subscription as well. The term headless account refers to generic log ins that are shared. So if you create a user called Contractor1 and distribute the credentials for Contractor1 to anyone to log in. Instead of creating the account Contractor1, you should invite the individual who will be accessing content and doing work. So in this case, an invitation is sent to James Smith and the jamessmith account is created for him to access the Subscription.

If you still have detailed questions on this, I would highly encourage you to contact your Esri Account Manager. They are available to answer any of your licensing questions.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MaximSilin
New Contributor III
Thanks, Andrew!
0 Kudos
MaximSilin
New Contributor III
Hi All,

Back to the AGOL Terms of use. Say, a legit client digitizes buildings upon AGOL basemaps and carries out verctor layer with building polygons. Question: Are the free to distribute their polygon layer as they will or is this illegal? I know for fact, that if they were to place dots on the map each representing a building location it would be okay to re-distribute them after. Nevertheless, I'm not 100% sure if the same applies to polygons (or lines for that matter in case of digitizing streets...)

Thanks in advance!
Max
0 Kudos