Slopes all close to 90 degrees

Jump to solution
07-06-2010 12:54 PM
StanaforthHopkins
New Contributor II
I'm trying to calculate slopes in a state forest starting with 1/3 NED files from the Seamless site. I can see the NED files and they check out.  My use of ArcGIS slope features using spatial analysis from the spatial analysis toolbar and tool box slope features result in non-descript errors. So does 3D slope from the toolbox.  My use of the raster calculator from the spatial analysis toolbar has returned close to the the same value in any direction - every 30m steps I take results in a 90 deg drop!  Some slopes!!  I believe I need to transform the range of slopes returned by using the z-factor in some way.

Can you help?

Stan
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
the elevation units and map coordinate units must be the same (ie either meters or feet), so make sure that you have projected your data using a suitable projection prior to calculating slope.  decimal degree coordinates won't work

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
the elevation units and map coordinate units must be the same (ie either meters or feet), so make sure that you have projected your data using a suitable projection prior to calculating slope.  decimal degree coordinates won't work
0 Kudos