AnsweredAssumed Answered

Zoom issue with Chrome/Chromium on Android

Question asked by jared.rowe on Nov 11, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2015 by Yue_Wu-esristaff
Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster! Firstly to give a bit of background, I have been working on a mobile application for both Android & iOS, using Phonegap and the ESRI JSAPI v3.7. My predominant Android test devices have been Nexus 4 & 7, both running Android 4.3. I now have a Nexus 5 that runs Android 4.4 KitKat, which has led me to discover this issue.

Phonegap wraps a web-app in an Android WebView, and until now it has run ok on any devices up to and including Android 4.3, as WebViews were rendered using a WebKit engine. In Android 4.4, the WebView has changed to be based on Chromium, the same as Chrome for Android browser, see here.

I discovered that when trying to zoom in from a much higher scale, the transition would hang and the app won't respond. Occasionally it will eventually it will correct itself (ie 5+mins I have noticed). To ensure it was not an issue with our code, I tested using some of the ESRI samples, found the same thing occurring in Chrome on Android.

To reproduce, try this JSFiddle in Chrome on an Android device. Press the zoom button go to the level specified in the input field. By default it zooms in from lvl4->14 which should demonstrate the issue. It does not occur on a mobile Webkit based browser such as Safari on iOS, or on the desktop version of chrome, only Chrome for Android or when embedded in a WebView (Android 4.4 only).

I have tested on multiple Android devices, all running Chrome version 29 & 30, occurs in all of them. Have also been able to reproduce it using our full web application that is deployed on JSAPI v2.8, so I believe it may not be a new issue. It has only become apparent to me due to the switch in rendering engine for the WebView in KitKat.

Hoping someone else might have encountered this, appreciate any assistance I can get!

Cheers,

Jared

Outcomes