gunnar_olson

Feature Service Security...or lack thereof!?!

Discussion created by gunnar_olson on Nov 8, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 16, 2016 by dforbuss_RVSS
Hi,

I just created a parcel feature service, created a web map containing the feature service, and then created a Web Mapping Application from the Web Map (Parcel Viewer). The security settings on the feature service are set so no one can export to a shapefile, geodatabase feature class, .csv, etc. This prevents people from exporting the data from the feature service description window. I have to share the feature service with EVERYONE in order for county residents to view the Parcel Map Viewer without an ArcGIS Online account & membership in a group. That being the case, ANYONE can open the feature service in ArcGIS for Desktop and then export the data to a shapefile or geodatabase feature class!!! The option to disallow export is apparently POINTLESS, as anyone can work around it as described. This basically makes sharing of Web Maps and Web Applications completely USELESS if you don't want others to be able to obtain a copy of your data.

That's a SERIOUS data security issue!!! NOT COOL. Hard to believe this has been overlooked. Maybe I'm missing something???

Outcomes