Creating a custom Toolbox Crashes ArcCatalog 10.1 SP1  and 10.2

11-08-2013 05:21 AM
erichfisher
New Contributor II
Hi all,

I'm seeing a weird issue lately with ArcCatalog, and from scouting around the forums and net, the circumstances are similar, but not quite the same as other posts.  The error I am seeing has been encountered on two machines over the past months, and I decided to post this thread after hearing from a colleague of a third instance, and then being able to reproduce the error on another two workstations. 

First, here are the specs of each of the machines incurring the errors:

Machine #1: Dell Laptop. Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.  Core i7 Q840, 1.87 GHz.  16 GB RAM.  Nvidia GeForce GT 445M.  ArcGIS 10.2 ArcInfo License.

Machine #2: Custom Workstation.  Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit.  Core i7 970, 3.6 GHz.  24 GB RAM.  Nvidia Quadro 5000.  ArcGIS 10.2, ArcInfo License.

Machine #3: Acer Laptop.  Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.  ArcGIS 10.1 SP1, ArcInfo License.

Machine #4: Custom Workstation.  Win 7 Enterprise SP 1 64-bit.  Core i7 960, 3.2 GHz.  24 GB RAM.  Nvidia Quadro 600.  ArcGIS 10.1 SP1, ArcInfo License.

Machine #5: Custom Workstation.  Win 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit.  Core i7 3770K, 3.5 GHz.  32 GB RAM.  Nvidia Quadro 600.  ArcGIS 10.2, ArcInfo License.

And, here are the details about the error:

I am encountering a Script Error after several instances of opening a tool in ArcToolbox via ArcCatalog.  This Script Error appears to be unlike the ActiveX Script Error described in previous posts primarily because the Script Error box is consistently BLANK, hence I have no idea what the actual error is.  When the Error occurs then ArcCatalog hangs and eventually crashes. 

The first time that I noticed this Script Error was when I was editing the tool descriptions for several new tools in a custom toolbox.  The Script Error occurred approximately every other time that I opened the tool description for edits.  I started testing the behavior of the error and I noticed that it is not limited to just the tool descriptions.  When I open any tool - custom or ESRI ??? or any tool description then I get about 5 chances before ArcCatalog goes to crap. 

I can also confirm that the error is not fixed in 10.2.  I first noticed the error on my laptop (Machine #1 listed above), which was running 10.1 at the time.  I performed a clean uninstall of 10.1 and full install of 10.2 and the problem persisted.  I have now seen the same error reproduced across 5 different machines.  There are subtle difference in the hardware and software across each machine.  The only aspect that I see which links the errors between each of these systems is the presence of a Custom ArcToolbox. 

I am skeptical that the root of the problem is the Custom ArcToolbox, however.  I initially built the toolbox in ArcCatalog 10.1 SP1.  Then, as part of my error-tracking, I rebuilt the toolbox from Scratch using my new installation of ArcGIS 10.2.  There is nothing unique about the toolbox.  It is a single toolbox with a single tool set that contains 5 scripts.  I have not modified the interface of the tools, or their stylesheet.  The errors are NEVER encountered when a script is run, therefore, I am confident that the error is not due to an error in the Python code. 

Just to reiterate, the Script Error is not limited to only our custom Toolbox.  Now, the errors are encountered in any tool within ArcToolbox, regardless if I designed them or ESRI.  The Script Errors are becoming more common also.  I don't know why. 

I would really appreciate some feedback about this issue.  Is anyone else seeing a similar problem?  Can someone recommend a solution?  I???ve got a team in the field right now and the frequently crashes are beginning to disrupt our workflow significantly. 

Thanks so much,

Erich
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Have you added the custom toolbox to the default ArcGIS toolbox? Do you still get these errors If you completely uninstall ArcGIS, remove the associated folders and registry entries and do a clean install without the custom toolbox?
0 Kudos
erichfisher
New Contributor II
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the ideas.  Actually, two of the machines where we are now seeing the problems are brand new (one is a factory-direct laptop, the other workstation I built from scratch last month) thus there were no legacy ArcGIS files that may be the source of the problem.  Furthermore, the laptop is running 10.1 whereas the workstation is running 10.2.

The issue also occurs across all 5 of the machines regardless if I save our custom tool box to default or simply add it in for a session.  Besides, I've seen these errors crop up when the custom tool box wasn't installed also. 

I know there have been Script Errors within ArcGIS 10 in the past that have necessitated a patch.  The behavior of the error I am seeing does not seem linked to Internet Explorer however.  It is most frustrating that when the script error occurs on all machines the error box is blank.

Best,

Erich
0 Kudos
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Are you running any antivirus? Have group policies, or some other software/registry issues that may be interfering? What kind of profiles do you use for logging into the computers?
0 Kudos
ChrisSnyder
Regular Contributor III
Did you try deleting the exsting normal.gxt and normal.mxt templates (BTW: These typically ARE NOT recreated when you upgrade/reinstall). Usually I always delete and my entire user profile if I upgrade ArcGIS and/or have the need to use the same profile to run ArcGIS on a local install and a remote box like Citrix or a Remote Desktop.
0 Kudos