Time-Aware Raster Catalog Images Not All Showing

07-06-2010 07:29 AM
RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III
We have a raster catalog of about 30 images... each image has a start and end time attribute over a span of approximately 30 days (no time periods overlap).  I have served these up on ArcGIS Server as a single layer in both a MSD and a MXD (since image server does not support catalogs).

If I try and use the "Export Map" operation I have some issues.  With no time specified, one of the images always shows up.  But if I specify an Epoch time that I know for sure is associated to one of these images time spans, only about 2 out of the 30 images will show for their corresponding time.

Any ideas why the images won't all show?  It works fine with the time slider in ArcMap... some type of caching limitation with the REST API maybe?  I want to use the time slider in Silverlight and it is producing the same results since the REST API is not sending an image over.

Thanks a lot for any help!
0 Kudos
22 Replies
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
In the MXD/MSD, can you check if time is enabled on the Map in the time slider window? If yes, then toggle the enable/disabe time on the Map button in the time slider window to disable time on map.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//005z0000000z000000.htm

If time is enabled on the Map, time constraints that are set using the time slider control will apply and the entire data may not display by default.
0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
Thanks a lot for the idea Ravi... never thought to disable time on the map.  Makes sense that would be the problem... but unfortunately it still is having the same problem.

What I did:
- Disabled time on the map (by clicking upper left button on time slider in ArcMap)
- Saved the MXD
- Restarted the map service
- cleared the REST cache
- restarted the map service again (just to make sure)
- launched the REST endpoint front end and tried an "export" on a date that should work
- Also launched my Silverlight map and tested the slider

Thanks for the great idea... maybe something else I am doing wrong?

*EDIT* Tried with MSD too, still same problem 😞
Also, FYI, now that the time is off on the map, I get a wireframe when no time is set because it is trying to show all the rasters... which is expected.  So I think we are on the right track and fixed part of the probelm, still not sure why it isn't using the time extent
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Is the start/end time fields defined based on a field of type date? Even though ArcMap will allow defining start/end time fields based on non-date fields, REST only supports time defined based on a date field.
0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
Is the start/end time fields defined based on a field of type date? Even though ArcMap will allow defining start/end time fields based on non-date fields, REST only supports time defined based on a date field.

Yep, both are date fields.  They allow null values, none of them are null though... would this cause a problem?  Also, there are just dates in the fields too, no times... the layers time format says <Date/ Time>... don't see this as being an issue though.

I have attached two images, one of the Layers time settings, and one of the attribute table for the raster catalog.

Thanks a lot for the help so far!
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
The timezone is set to be PST adjusted for daylight savings. In the input to REST time is assumed to be in UTC. I assume that you are taking this into account when specifyign the time filter.

Also can you try query operation with the same time extent values to see if it returns the expected results?

Ravi
0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
I have tried setting the timezome to "none" and "no daylight savings" and some other combinations and it didn't seem to matter.  PST is only 8 hours off from UTC anyway, and the raster times span 24 days, so I was not worrying about that as an issue yet.  The Epoch times I am trying are well in the middle of the images time range.  Maybe I am missing something else?

I can not query them by the same time extent either... I can query by name just fine, but not by the time.
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Can you post a sample REST request url (exportMap, query) that includes the time query?
0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
The server itself is only on our intranet unfortunatly... but here are a few URL examples for you to inspect:

http://bkweb03/ArcGIS/rest/services/Belridge/Test/MapServer/export?bbox=-121.079706883798,33.1304368...

http://bkweb03/ArcGIS/rest/services/Belridge/Test/MapServer/export?bbox=-121.079706883798,33.1304368...

Thanks again for all the time you are spending on this!!!
0 Kudos
RaviNarayanan
Esri Contributor
Is this service running on ArcGIS Server 10.0 prerelease version? Can you try specifying time that is rounded to 1 sec instead of 1 ms.

for example:
1217318980000 instead of 1217318980645
0 Kudos