"Wrong Column Type" trying to create a Feature class in non-SDE SQL Server with 10.1

11-05-2013 11:37 AM
ArtUllman
New Contributor
I have a brand new empty SQL Server 2008 R2 database.  I am trying to either load data from an FGDB or create a new Feature Class using ArcCatalog.  Every time I try to perform either function, I get an error:  Wrong Column Type and 00210 error.

When I run the SQL Profiler, I can see that the following SQL executes correctly in SQL, but then I see a DROP TABLE immediately after this step:

CREATE TABLE GISMART_TST.dbo.aaaaa ( OBJECTID INTEGER NOT NULL IDENTITY ,  SHAPE geometry NULL, PRIMARY KEY ( OBJECTID) )

I am running Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64)  and ArcCatalog 10.1 with SP1.

I have done this plenty of times at other installations without problems.  My license is Desktop Standard.  In the past, I have had ArcGIS Advanced License.   I don't think this should make a difference.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I can see how you can create a table with geometry in a database, but don't see how
you could have been populating it without enabling an enterprise geodatabase.  Query
layers are read-only.  Were you using an Interoperability tool in the other database(s)?

- V
0 Kudos
ArtUllman
New Contributor
With 10.1, I have been able to Import Feature Classes to brand new layers in SQL Server 2008 R2 without enabling enterprise Geodatabase.  All I had to do was create a database, and then create a database connection in ArcCatalog.  Once I had a connection, I could use the Import Feature Class to import FGDB layers to the database.  I did not use inter-operability extensions, but I did have ArcInfo Advanced.  There were no SDE tables in the database.  Is this something you can try on your system?
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
What kind of "database connection" did you make?   The one with the name "Database Connection"
has two options,  OLE DB and Spatial Connection.  The latter is an ArcSDE connection (Direct Connect);
It can only successfully connect if the database has been configured with an enterprise geodatabase.

Are you using an Enterprise SQL-Server instance or SQL-Server Express?

- V
0 Kudos
ArtUllman
New Contributor
I created a "database Connection" using Direct connect.  The SQL Server is enterprise.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
"Direct Connect" is an ArcSDE connection type.  You can only add feature classes
in a Direct Connect if an enterprise geodatabase has been enabled.

- V
0 Kudos
ArtUllman
New Contributor
I figured out my problem.  The SQL Server database was set to a case-sensitive collation sequence.  Once, I changed the database to case-insensitive collation, I was able to create and load feature classes using a direct database connection without enabling the database as a geodatabase.   Thank you for your assistance.
0 Kudos