quantumsawdust

Convert set of adjacent polygons to vertex points (two problems)

Discussion created by quantumsawdust on Nov 4, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 by quantumsawdust
Hello,

I am trying to convert a large set of polygons (~250) into a set of vertex points. The final goal is to have a collection of ~250 lists (one for each polygon) with a sequence of points around the outside that estimate the boundaries of that polygon.

I am using the "Feature Vertices to Points" tool.

The first problem is that the list of points I get is absolutely humongous. Hundreds of thousands of points, when really I need a few dozen for each polygon. I can delete most of the points with some coding later, but if there is a way to force ArcMAP to do it that would make things easier on me.

The second and larger problem is that when two polygons bound each other, the border between the two polygons is assigned to only one of the shapes. I need a complete circuit for each seperate polygon. For analogy, if I were converting the borders of Arizona and New Mexico into vertex points, the Feature Vertices to Points tool would assign the border between the two states to one of the states, leaving a wide open gap in the other.

I could just run the tool on one polygon at a time, but I just don't have the time to it. I may create a batch script to do so, but I would like to avoid it if at all possible. Ideally, ArcMAP will have some way of handling this itself. Anyone know what that might be?

Thanks!

Outcomes