clint.dow

Temporary Rasters saved to unexpected locations

Discussion created by clint.dow on Nov 4, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 by clint.dow
Hello, I'm encountering an intermittent problem when testing tools and wonder if anyone can shed some light on it.

Occasionally, when I run my python scripts the intermediate data will attempt to be saved to the C:\Program Files(x86)\arcgis\desktop10.1\bin folder, rather than my scratch workspace.
ie: ERROR 010240: Could not save raster dataset to c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.1\bin\g_g42 with output format GRID.

If I exit ArcCatalog, kill the ArcGISCacheMgr process in Task Manager and 'Re run' the script with no parameters or environmental variables changed, it works just fine. Therefore I believe it to be a bug with how the CacheMgr generates temporary file names. This happens in more than one script, however not until a number of them have been run in one session. I have been trying to find some pattern of occurrence but so far I can't reliably recreate it, just seems to happen when arc gets sick of me running scripts over and over.

Is this a known problem? Is there something I can do in my code to eliminate it? Its easy enough to deal with, but looks bad if it happens when I'm showing my QA team the tools and it happens. I unfortunately can't post the code from a script which experiences this issue, since its written for clients.

Outcomes