Roadmap of future implementations

Jump to solution
11-03-2013 06:36 AM
TsanKolev
New Contributor III
Hello,

Our organization is testing the ArcGIS Online platform and we are currently evaluating the idea of going for an organizational subscription. However, there are some things that we are concerned about - mostly missing core features. I would like to know, if it's possible, if ESRI is planning to and working on to implement the following:

- Labeling (I know about the workarounds, but we need labeling as a feature inside ArcGIS Online)
- Printing map with legend (The workaround with print screen and copy-paste in image editing program is just not serious)
- Search within features
- Connection to an external database (PostGIS, Oracle Spatial, MS SQL)

- 'Viewer' as a user-role? - right now I believe there's no workaround for that. If you want your organization to have private maps and to enable user just to see them, you need to provide them with an account with editing capabilities. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

It is very strange that this platform is operational for some time already, but it is still missing those key features, for which if no near-future development is planned that might as well be a deal-breaker for us.

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Kind regards,
Tsan Kolev
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Tsan,

Here are some answers to your questions:

- Labeling (I know about the workarounds, but we need labeling as a feature inside ArcGIS Online)
A. Labeling feature services is planned for a future release

- Printing map with legend (The workaround with print screen and copy-paste in image editing program is just not serious)
A. The legend does not appear from the Map Viewer, but you can configure the option to add a legend or not in the different Web Applications that are available online.

- Search within features
A. We are also working on this for a future release next year.

A.  At this time there is not an option to synchronize your local data to your hosted database in ArcGIS Online. If you need to publish data from your local database to consume in ArcGIS Online you can use ArcGIS for Server to create Map and Feature Services.

If you have more ideas or enhancement requests, please post them on ideas.arcgis.com

Hope that helps,
Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Tsan,

Here are some answers to your questions:

A. Labeling feature services is planned for a future release

A. The legend does not appear from the Map Viewer, but you can configure the option to add a legend or not in the different Web Applications that are available online.

- Search within features
A. We are also working on this for a future release next year.

A.  At this time there is not an option to synchronize your local data to your hosted database in ArcGIS Online. If you need to publish data from your local database to consume in ArcGIS Online you can use ArcGIS for Server to create Map and Feature Services.

If you have more ideas or enhancement requests, please post them on ideas.arcgis.com

Hope that helps,
Andrew

0 Kudos
TsanKolev
New Contributor III
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your detailed response. Looking forward to the futures releases of this nice platform.

Best regards,
Tsan
0 Kudos