British National Grid?

07-05-2010 08:39 AM
AndrewEgleton
New Contributor III
Hi

I'm having trouble displaying my map services using British National Grid. I can display the ArcGIS online services fine, and I can display my services over the top of the ArcGIS online ones (although the transformation is far from good, and it crashes if I zoom in too far), but as soon as I try using my service on its own the app displays nothing at all!

Anyone had any luck working with British National Grid?

Thanks,
Andy.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
Are your services tiled or dynamic? Can you share the URL of the service?

At this point, you need to have atleast one tiled service layer in the map. You cannot add just a dynamic service layer. We hope to resolve this in a future update, but this is why you might be seeing a blank map with your service alone.

_
Divesh
0 Kudos
EamonnDoyle
Esri Contributor
Andrew

For the ArcGIS for iPhone app you map needs to include a tiled map service. But that can be in any projection. The dynamic services you overlay will adopt the projection of the first tiled layer added to the map provided that they ate "transformable". The Irish Grid and perhaps the British National Grid can sometimes require a datum shift to transform to WGS84 based systems and this can be problematic when attempted "on the fly", better to have all your data in the Map in the same projection. We have used successfully with Irish Transverse Mercator.

Eamonn
0 Kudos
AndrewEgleton
New Contributor III
Thanks to you both, we had just been testing with a dynamic service but I'm changing that now to tiled.
0 Kudos