Trouble with Latitude and Longitude Values In DB

10-29-2013 05:00 AM
StephenMadaras
New Contributor
I am a MicroStrategy Cloud Express User and I've been working with the new ESRI map visualizations.  I loaded latitude and longitude values into my DB to chart records on a map.  However, I wasn't able to get the records to show up on a map until I created latitude and longitude attributes associated with a zip code.  Unfortunately, the lat/long values associated with zip codes aren't granular enough - I would like to chart incidents within a zip code. 

The standalone lat/long values are in degrees down to six decimal places.  I assign the lat / long records as "latitude" and "longitude" attributes within the MicroStrategy application.  I'm not sure what else I need to do.  Am I obligated to use zip code or city as a location attibute to get the maps to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidFabi
New Contributor
I am a MicroStrategy Cloud Express User and I've been working with the new ESRI map visualizations.  I loaded latitude and longitude values into my DB to chart records on a map.  However, I wasn't able to get the records to show up on a map until I created latitude and longitude attributes associated with a zip code.  Unfortunately, the lat/long values associated with zip codes aren't granular enough - I would like to chart incidents within a zip code. 

The standalone lat/long values are in degrees down to six decimal places.  I assign the lat / long records as "latitude" and "longitude" attributes within the MicroStrategy application.  I'm not sure what else I need to do.  Am I obligated to use zip code or city as a location attibute to get the maps to work?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

I'm getting the same results as you.  MS will extract Long/Lat from my Country or State and display it properly if used within the Map control, but will not display a single pin if I use the Long or Lat dimension.  The Long Lat is extracted from two Excel columns.  Here is a sample from the excel test data:

Long Lat Country
30,252257 62,419543 Belgium
30,324375 62,348622 Belgium
30,367740 62,264855 Belgium

Have you had any luck?

Kind regards,

David
0 Kudos
ScottMasson
New Contributor
Hi, I believe that you are trying to leverage the out of the box capabilities that MicroStrategy included in their latest releases, and not Esri Maps for MicroStrategy, is this correct? I believe that MicroStrategy has imposed some limitations to the level of granularity that they will plot on the map. For example, I was never able to get data to visualize lower than at a ZIP code level as well.

My suggestion would be to contact MSTR Support to see if they have any guidance or white papers.

Scott
0 Kudos