Issues republishing hosted feature service in AGO

Jump to solution
10-25-2013 08:17 AM
SusanMoore
New Contributor III
I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 to publish hosted feature services into our AGO Org account. When I try to republish a service by doing an overwrite, I'm getting very mixed results.

Today, for example, I published a new hosted service in AGO. I wanted to republish it by using the Overwrite, but it doesn't even show up in my list of hosted services. I can see that the service was successfully publishing in AGO, but my list of hosted services won't refresh in ArcMap, even if I reboot. I tried creating a new service w/the same name, but it tells me the service already exists.

Earlier this week, I was trying to republish other hosted service from ArcMap by doing overwrites. Sometimes it would work, but sometimes after republishing, the hosted service became inaccessible in AGO (I'd receive an error when clicking on the services that says it is "does not exist or is no longer accessible"). If I kept trying to republish, it would eventually work.

Other times earlier this week, I would try to republish, and after I selected the Continue button on the Overwrite an Existing Service and answered "Yes" to continue, nothing would happen. I would just be returned to my MXD. Again, if I tried it over and over, it would eventually work.

Has anyone else had these issues? I'm finding it very frustrating to do the same workflow over and over until it works. I submitted an incident to tech support on Monday, but I haven't received any assistance yet.

Thanks,
Susan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
There is a bug in publishing from desktop that has been addressed in the next release 10.2.1. Unfortunately there is not a great workaround until the issue is addressed.

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDk1MTU0

Cheers,
Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
AndyWallace
New Contributor II
We had the exact same issue for two weeks. We ended up publishing as an administrator to get round it as we were in a hurry. When we went to submit a call to technical support two weeks later we found that everything was working again. This behaviour happened across different PCs over a nukber of days so we are fairly sure it was not a caching issue.

Very often we find caching issues and erractic behaviour so clearing your cache is perhaps the first step in your case? See link http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I tried creating a new service w/the same name, but it tells me the service already exists.

We have seen this issue many times.  ArcGIS Online tells us that the service already exists when it does not.  You cannot find such a service either in the ArcGIS Online web interface or by programmatically searching for it.

My theory is that this a bug with regards to information that is cached within the ESRI system.  It is not a browser caching issue because the response comes from ArcGIS Online.

Unfortunately, I know of no workaround for the issue other than to simply choose another name.  FWIW, I have reported this issue to support.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
There is a bug in publishing from desktop that has been addressed in the next release 10.2.1. Unfortunately there is not a great workaround until the issue is addressed.

http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/role/beta10_1/TklNMDk1MTU0

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
CharlesGuiam1
New Contributor II

I can't seem to open this link. Do you have a workaround for 10.3.0.4322?

0 Kudos
AndyNorris
New Contributor III
Hi Andrew,

When is 10.2.1 coming out?  Really need this feature!

Many thanks,
Andy
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Andy,

It should be out in December.

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
GaryTe
by
New Contributor II
Hi Andrew,

I have experienced similar issues as everyone here with 10.2. I recently updated ArcGIS to 10.2.1, but I still get the "packaging successful, but publishing failed" error.

I tested a couple of scenarios and this is what I've observed when trying to overwrite an existing service:

Received an error message if the following applies:
1. Moving existing feature service outside of root folder
2. Changing the name of existing feature service

The only workaround to this that worked for me is to keep the original feature service name and to move it from its current sub-directory folder back to the root folder whenever I need to overwrite a feature service. So far, everything seems to work after doing that.

At this point, I am not too sure if this is an issue that only I am experiencing. Do you have any insight on this matter?

Thank you,

-Gary
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Gary,

This almost sounds like a new bug related to the renaming of a service, and moving to folders. We will have to do some testing on this and confirm the behavior.

Thank you for following up.

Andrew
0 Kudos
RickWeisbond
New Contributor III
I have had the same results with overwrite in 10.2.1.  As long as the feature service is in my root directory overwrite works fine.  It's a minor inconvenience and at least I can now update my hosted services without having to jump through hoops.
0 Kudos