ArcGIS Online capabilities

10-24-2013 05:26 AM
DavidGolden
New Contributor
I'm very new to ArcGIS online and I'm not positive if this is the right forum for my query. I will describe what I'm trying to do and hope that someone can point me in the right direction or let me know if it is even possible given the tools I've got.

I'm trying to develop a web application for my college farm to be used on the iphone. The goal is to be able to enter paddock location and paddock health descriptors and to store this data over time. We don't have permanent paddocks, so the polygons used to describe paddock location must be constantly changing. To solve this, I want the user to select and enter point data (based on permanent in-field posts) which will then be made into polygons based on vertices. The attributes that will be entered in with the point data will follow the feature into the polygon, and then the polygon features will in a sense be dissolved into a fishnet and relationship class table that I have set up in order to store the data. I have developed a model using ArcMap that is capable of completing all of these tasks.

Where I am stumped though is how all of this data can be created using a mobile app and entered into the modelbuilder and stored on an online server. I've played around with the Collector App and ArcGIS Online and I can't seem to find any way to create fields that are this customizable. I don't have any scripting experience, so anything that requires extensive scripting knowledge is pretty much out of the question.

Can someone point me in the right direction for continuing on with this project?

Thanks!
David
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
David,

When you talk about customizable fields what do you exactly mean?

Before you upload the feature service through ArcGIS Desktop, you can create domains in a geodatabase and assign them to your feature service attribute fields. Once you upload this, your user will have dropdown boxes and don't need to manually type in data which reduces error.

I don't know if that is what you are talking about, but I hope this helps at least a bit.

Tim
0 Kudos
DavidGolden
New Contributor
From what I've seen in GIS Online, it seems like you can really only add point data to be saved to a collector map. However, I want to add point data (accompanied by other descriptive attributes) that is then processed much further in the method I described above. This is what I mean by customizable fields- probably not the correct usage of the term though.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You are right, at the moment you can only collect point data. I'm sure somebody on this forum could help you with a python script that downloads your data and from there you can run everything you need in ArcGIS Desktop (models and such) and then use the script in this thread to upload your data.

Eventually you can automate all that.
0 Kudos
DavidGolden
New Contributor
You are right, at the moment you can only collect point data. I'm sure somebody on this forum could help you with a python script that downloads your data and from there you can run everything you need in ArcGIS Desktop (models and such) and then use the script in this thread to upload your data.

Eventually you can automate all that.

Thanks Tim, I think that's going to be very helpful. So then my next question would be, is it possible using AGO to input a form based on existing point data rather than collecting new point features to input?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
I assume you have an organizational account?

With this, you can create your feature service in ArcGIS Desktop and then upload your existing data to AGOL.  If you don't know how to upload a feature service through ArcGIS Desktop let me know!

Or if you have an excel spreadsheet, with Lat/Long of points you can use that as well.
0 Kudos
DavidGolden
New Contributor
I assume you have an organizational account?

With this, you can create your feature service in ArcGIS Desktop and then upload your existing data to AGOL.  If you don't know how to upload a feature service through ArcGIS Desktop let me know!

Or if you have an excel spreadsheet, with Lat/Long of points you can use that as well.

I've already uploaded a cmv spreadsheet with lat/long points to AGOL. I just didn't realize you could input based on existing point features.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
With the free account you can just zip a shapefile and upload it.
0 Kudos