Model builder connections

10-22-2013 08:35 PM
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

Due to various errors that I have been unable to surpass, I have to run a model in three separate parts.  Each part can be ran successfully immediately after the previous has finished, however, I am unable to get them to work if I combine all of the processes into one model.  Not sure why, but that is how it is so far.

I am here to inquire about the possibility of connecting multiple models.  Is there a way to call upon another model to run as soon as one has finished?  Can you combine them into one?  I haven't been able to find much help through online searches thus far. 

Thanks for any assistance. 

C. Potts
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Coy,

You could export all 3 models into their own python script and then paste them all together into one script? With this method you should be able to only run one script.

Hope this helps!

Tim
0 Kudos
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III
I will give that a shot, thanks for the input! 

I'll give some details to the problem that I was having and maybe you can answer where it would still arise if all three were combined into a single script. 

I had to separate model 1 and model 2 at one point because the output contour feature class (created within the model) that was used as the input in a polyline to raster tool would throw an error that says "Cannot retrieve the feature class extent" before the model was even allowed to run.  If I cut the two models at that point, run model 1 which ends at the contour creation, and then run model 2 starting with the contours as the input, it runs fine.  I can see how it would say it couldn't retrieve the extent since the contours aren't technically created yet, but I find it weird that ArcMap won't allow the model to even begin to run at all. 

The second break ends in the creation of a Minus raster, and begins with the Reclassify tool.  For some reason if I put these two steps together, it won't work...but if I run model 2 up to the Minus raster creation, and then start model 3, it works just fine. 

I'm not sure if that will all make sense without seeing what I'm working with, but maybe it will. 

Thanks again for the input!

C Potts
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
It sounds kinda weird that you can't run it in one model. I hope doing it step by step in python fixes those errors.
0 Kudos