Need to choose the correct tool

Jump to solution
10-21-2013 12:43 PM
SaraThompson2
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a dataset where I have a polyline representing a major scenic highway. I have digitized points along this highway that represent scenic overlooks/vistas. More so, I have polygon layer (also available in raster format) that represents dead trees affected by an invasive insect surrounding the highway. I ultimately am looking for a tool where I can input the points representing the scenic overlooks and ask the program "which of these points are closest and have the greatest density of dead trees from them?". I'd basically like to be able to show which scenic overlooks are most affected by proximity and density of the dead trees. Should I be using zonal tools (in spatial analyst)? I'm sure I could figure a way to do it in a lengthy time consuming multi-step process but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a quicker workflow and which tools would be most effective in this analysis.
Thank you,

Sara
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Sara,

You could create a buffer around each point and then use the clip feature on your dead tree polygon. After that you can calculate the area, for each dead tree area around those scenic points. Sadly it involves more than one step, but just an idea! 🙂

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Sara,

You could create a buffer around each point and then use the clip feature on your dead tree polygon. After that you can calculate the area, for each dead tree area around those scenic points. Sadly it involves more than one step, but just an idea! 🙂

Tim
0 Kudos
SaraThompson2
New Contributor
That's a great idea and not too complicated. Greatly appreciated !

Sara
0 Kudos