Administer SDE without Versioning Lineage Tree?

Jump to solution
10-10-2013 08:42 AM
Occasional Contributor III
Hello! This is more of a conversation than a problem-oriented question; if it is in the wrong place, let me know, and I will move it.

We are soon to migrate to 10.2, and I have never before been without my GDBT extension Versioning Lineage tree.  We have about 70 versioned editors, maintain 9 replicas, and run a pretty tight ship--reconcile all versions and aim for a full compression every night (legitimate long-term transactions excepted).  Every morning, I open the Versioning Lineage tree, and can see at a glance if any of these processes has an issue.

For those ArcSDE Admins who either have never used the GDBT toolset, or those who are already in the 10.2 environment: how do you check for full compression, conflicted versions, orphaned replica versions, etc., and with what regularity? 

Thank you!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
To follow up on this thread, here is SQL to identify those states which should have been compressed, but weren't:

select sde.sde_states.state_id, parent_state_id, lineage_name, name
from sde.SDE_states
left join sde.SDE_versions
on sde.sde_states.state_id
= sde.sde_versions.state_id
order by state_id;

You're looking for those records whose name is NULL.

This will return those states which are "above" Default, as depicted in the attachments on this post: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/53566-Versioning-Lineage

View solution in original post

11 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
For those ArcSDE Admins who either have never used the GDBT toolset, or those who are already in the 10.2 environment: how do you check for full compression, conflicted versions, orphaned replica versions, etc., and with what regularity? 

Thank you!

Hi Marianne,

I realize this is not a full answer to your questions, but I recommend you to have a look at this recent ESRI's Support Service Blog article by Melissa J.:

Do This, Not That! �?? Alternatives to using SDE command line tools - http://blogs.esri.com/esri/supportcenter/2013/10/04/do-this-not-that-alternatives-to-using-sde-comma...
0 Kudos
Our migration is complete, and I have happily discovered that the GDBT Tools are working in my 10.2 environment.  In advance of this discovery, I decided querying for 'states < current Default state' after a full reconcile/compress would reveal potentially orphaned states, but GDBT State Tree is a wonderful visual tool.
BrendaFennel_GISP
New Contributor III

Did you change any registry or other settings to get the GDBT V10.0  to work in ArcCatalog V10.2?  I am needing to install the GDBT and am running ArcMap 10.2.2, I am getting an error message.  I have read the older posts to get the 10.0 tool to run in 10.1 by changing registry settings and wondered if that is what you also did to get the tool to run.

0 Kudos

You probably can do this by changing the registry values, but I chose not to do that.  If you have previously installed Desktop 10.0, the GDBT tools will run after you have upgraded.  If you have never had 10.0 on that machine, you can uninstall 10.2.2, install 10.0, install GDBT, uninstall 10.0, then install 10.2.2.  I understand this is not supported, but it does work.

BrendaFennel_GISP
New Contributor III

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I may try that, I also have an older workstation I need to run V10.0 on for the HAZUS software, so I will give it a try on that box...

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can try the below to get the GDBT working for Desktop 10.1 or later release:

----------------------------------------------

The solution for this is mentioned in brief on the following page to download GDBT 10.0:

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/geodatabase/details?entryID=C05E5891-1422-2418-7F0B-4EDDADA...

The 10.0 install wants to read a registry key for some install information.  If it finds it, the install will proceed.

I verified that for myself.  I installed ArcGIS 10.0 and exported the needed key.  I installed 10.1 sp1 onto a computer that never had ArcGIS Desktop and imported the key.

GDBT 10.0 installs without any problem.  This would likely work with 10.2.x as well.

The exact contents of the exported key I used is shown below between the ***** lines.  If the install directory of your ArcGIS install is as shown below then simply paste into a text editor, save it as a *.reg file and import the .reg file using regedit  OR change "InstallDir" as needed then do those steps.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.0]

"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS\\Desktop10.1\\"

I had created a small clip of the workflow for reference. Have a look at it if you want to:

GDBT_install_10.2 - asrujit's library

In many large enterprises (including mine), changing the registry is indefensible and will result in loss of administrative access and any other elevated permissions you have.  If that's not your situation, changing the registry is fine. If it is your situation, the uninstall/reinstall workflow will work.

0 Kudos
AndrewQuee

Thanks, the registry hack is simple and painless compared to the hassle of waiting around for the hours it takes to uninstall and reinstall ArcGIS (and all the requisite service packs, patches, bugfixes, extensions, customisations, user environments, ad nauseam...).

I found you do not need to alter the InstallDir key.  The GDBT installer only checks the ...\ESRI\Desktop10.0 one. 

Simply change whatever version you have to 0 there, install GDBT, then change it back.  You don't even need to close regedit.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

@andrew_Quee  I saw your comment on the blog (Geodatabase Toolset (GDBT) for ArcCatalog – Now available for 10.0! | ArcGIS Blog ) and followed you very quick and temporary registry hack with 10.3.1 and it seems to be working.  Only have looked at the tree so far, but that was by far the thing I used (and missed) the most.  A bit of a circular search in y case, but glad I found this.

Current download available http://www.esri.com/apps/products/download/index.cfm?fuseaction=download.main&downloadid=680    but you have to be logged in, I'm sure.

Word of caution: as many have mentioned, this is a registry change and not available in many shops.  That, and you have to be very careful when messing with the registry since it happens immediately and can have negative effects if done wrong...so proceed with caution.