Sharing a map = sharing underlying ressources with everyone ?

10-10-2013 05:29 AM
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
Hello,

I have the following case :
- i create a map wich uses a feature (shapefile, WMS, etc.).
- i want to share this map with everyone (in order to incorporate it in a website).
- when i share the map, i have also to share the underlying feature (no choice)
- so, my underlying feature becomes publicly available : i.e anyone can view and re-use it in Arc Map

My problem is that this feature is confidential :
- it's alright to display it inside a dynamic map
- but giving it to everyone (i.e. viewed in arc map and then downloaded / copied) is not acceptable !

Is there any solution in this scenario ? I want to incorparate the map in a public website without publishing the underlying feature as a public ressource for arcgis users.

Cheers,
Alexandre.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
PS : please excuse mispellings, i'm not native english speaker
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I assume you have a hosted feature service. What you could do is create a set of hosted tiles from it by using the Publish button on the item page of your feature service. This creates a set of static, tiled images of your data. Note that generating tiles for a wide range of scales can get costly...

If you don't want to create tiles, there's not another way that I can think of.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
OK, thanks for your reply.

I think it's not a good thing to have "sharing a map" = "sharing underlaying features" = "rendering them available for any user of arc map". There should be a simple option "make feature public, but don't share it with others ESRI users". It's rather simple, and it would prevent privacy problems ...
0 Kudos
MirBBenesov
New Contributor III
Hello, I have the same opinion as TSTCIVC. It is a pity that some feature services can not be blocked for public.
0 Kudos
AlexandreECUVILLON1
New Contributor III
0 Kudos