Too long to start a mapservice

Jump to solution
10-09-2013 06:12 AM
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
I setup ArcGIS Server on a new CPU, which has much higher capacity than my old CPU.  But, starting / re-starting a mapservice (even though for a very simple one) takes too long time.  Many times, it got failed to start due to timeout.  What's the possible measures that can improve the performance?  Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
After re-installing ArcGIS Server and cleaning up the existing \arcgisserver\ folder, I re-created the mapservice, SOE, etc.  Then, it becomes much better.  I suspect the extra long time was due to some problem(s) in the created SOE.  Without SOE, the time for starting a map service is reasonable.  If the SOE is good, the time spent is also acceptable.  But, if the SOE has some runtime bug, it may cause the timeout, as I experienced.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Have you details with level verbose in log arcgis server? see also log event viewer windows
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Did it also take a long time to publish the service compared to your old ArcGIS Server environment?
0 Kudos
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
Could not remember how long it took for the publishing.  The log event viewer shows
Unable to process request. Error handling service request : Unknown Container Exception: org.apache.openejb.client.RemoteFailoverException: Cannot complete request. Retry attempted on 1 servers; nested exception is: java.io.IOException: Cannot deternmine server protocol version: Received null/0.0
It was the Sever level.
Any advice?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Does the data for your mapservice reside on the ArcGIS Server server or do you have it elsewhere (e.g. SDE database, network share for a file geodatabase or shapefile)?
0 Kudos
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
For this simple service, I used FileGDB, which contains only 1 simple line FC and 2 tables, exch one of them has only 100-400 records.
New log event message: Unable to process request. Error handling service request : Could not find a service with the name 'Test/MapServer/myTest' in the configured clusters. Service may be stopped or ArcGIS Server may not be running
It appears to be that somethin is wrong in the configured clusters.  How to fix it?  Any hint?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Are you using the default cluster or have you modified it or created another cluster?  My v10.2 setup is only using the default cluster so I probably could not help you out as mine is the default and it is working properly.
0 Kudos
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
After re-installing ArcGIS Server and cleaning up the existing \arcgisserver\ folder, I re-created the mapservice, SOE, etc.  Then, it becomes much better.  I suspect the extra long time was due to some problem(s) in the created SOE.  Without SOE, the time for starting a map service is reasonable.  If the SOE is good, the time spent is also acceptable.  But, if the SOE has some runtime bug, it may cause the timeout, as I experienced.  Thanks.
0 Kudos