MS SQL server vs. Oracle (in ArcSDE)

10-08-2013 08:26 PM
KaziSaiful_Islam
New Contributor
Hi everyone,

I am going to start using ArcSDE. But as I am totally new, I'd be really grateful to you if you please be kind enough to answer the following questions-

1. Which one is more user friendly for the beginners (MS SQL server, Oracle, or which one)
2. Technology often changes too rapidly. I should start using which I should be able to use for a long time (1. ESRI should keep supporting the product for at least next ten years. 2. the product should be supported by its mother organization Microsoft and Oracle etc.)
3. What is the data storage capacity of MS SQL server and Oracle. Which one is better in spatial indexing? why?
4. What sort of programming capability shall I need? I am planning to start learning Python.

I'll be anxiously waiting to hear from you.

Thanks and regards,
Saiful
0 Kudos
1 Reply
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I don't see a single part in your multi-part question which is answerable with
with a non-subjective response.

1. I don't see any subjective difference between the five major SQL engines

2. supported by Esri, and the no-SQL databases seem to be more of the same.
    In the course of a 25 year career as a DBA, RDBMS selection has always been
    a religious issue, not a technical one.
  3. Requiring vendors to remain at an identical technology for ten years is an

4. amazing goal -- I can't think of any component in the software stack that's
    remained supported that long, much less in combination.
  5. Modern RDBMS software has the capability to address more data than currently

6. exists, and each of them has several possible flavors of spatial indexing, each
    of which has both strengths and weaknesses.
  7. It's generally accepted that all programmers must master as many languages

8. as possible across the categories of OS scripting languages, compiled languages,
    OO bytecode languages, SQL dialects, and web scripting frameworks.  Python is
    an excellent language but it only resides in one of those categories; you'd need
    to augment it with bash, 'C', PL/SQL, and JavaScript for starters.
- V
0 Kudos