Expected DTD markup was not found?

10-08-2013 10:57 AM
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
I am trying to upload an XML document using python and
arcpy.MetadataImporter_conversion

I keep getting an error:

Expected DTD markup was not found. Line 1, position 3.
Failed to execute (MetadataImporter).

I think it's an issue with my XML document, but I'm not sure what. I've been using the same XML document to upload for 4 years now and now I'm getting this error. I haven't made any edits to the XML in that 4 years.

I've searched through the internet, but I haven't been able to come up with something that explains what the error is and how to resolve it. Does anyone know what this might mean?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MikeMacRae
Occasional Contributor III
Ok, I think I may have found out what the problem might be. In my XML, on the first line, there is a reference to a website that I believe the XML uses to retrieve the DTD:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><!DOCTYPE metadata SYSTEM "http://www.fgdc.gov/metadata/fgdc-std-001-1998.dtd"><metadata>

I tried to go to the website and it takes me to the usgs.gov website. It has an intro page fight now that inidcates the website is down due to the federal government shutdown in the US right now. This is probably causing an issue with the reference I pasted above. If I am right in saying that, is there a workaround? Can I find the
fgdc-std-001-1998.dtd
elsewhere and install it locally and reference it?
0 Kudos