Add field to geodatabase

Jump to solution
10-08-2013 05:13 AM
JonPeroff
New Contributor II
I add fields to geodatabases quite often and I can't figure out how to add the field in a certain spot within the table.  When I use the tools and add a field it always gets added to the end of the table.  There must be an easy way to add a field to a certain spot within the table.  Can anyone provide me direction on how to do that?  There must be a script, code or some tool that can do this I would think anyways.
I am using ArcInfo 9.3.1 and not familiar with python but I should start using it.  Currently I use ET geowizzards to do this but that saves it as a shapefile then I need to export it to a geodatabase.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
John,

this is only possible with later versions of ArcGIS. You can however change the order of your attributes in an MXD. Right-click the layer in your TOC and click properties. Go to the "Fields" tab and then on the left side you can move fields up and down to rearrange them.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
John,

this is only possible with later versions of ArcGIS. You can however change the order of your attributes in an MXD. Right-click the layer in your TOC and click properties. Go to the "Fields" tab and then on the left side you can move fields up and down to rearrange them.

Tim
0 Kudos