Edit Local Shapefiles

09-30-2013 11:13 AM
Labels (1)
AaronHigh
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm attempting to edit local shapefiles and have gotten as far as loading them in the map and manipulating them with an EditGeometryusing the examples posted in this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/75915-How-to-open-shape-file-in-ArcGIS-Runtime-WPF-SDK-as-Graphics-...

However when I attempt to replace the LocalMapService with a LocalFeatureService, I run into problems with the LocalFeatureLayer never getting the shapefile data source. Is it possible to apply permanent edits to a local shapefile using the ArcGIS WPF API? I'm interested in editing both the attribute table as well as the geometry, but a solution that provides either/or would be great.

EDIT: I'd like to note that pre-baking the shapefile into an MPK isn't an option as a user may not always have access to ArcGIS desktop.

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to edit shapefiles that have been added via dynamic layers. Although it's an implementation detail, the reason is that the FeatureServer endpoint does not support the DynamicLayer capability.

We are working on improved local data support which will also include synchronization with feature services but this functionality will be released as part of the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET, which includes a WPF API for building desktop applications (i.e. an evolution of the WPF API you're working with now). It will be available in beta shortly.

In the mean time, if you really just want to edit shapefiles then you could try one of the various 3rd party shapefile libraries (it's an open, published format).

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos