Questions about group and their content

09-26-2013 12:25 PM
TimothieBiggs
New Contributor II
Hello -

I would like to share an web map and a web map application with a group. However the layers in these items are not visible unless I share all the consituent data and web maps into the group - which means that the group gets clogged up with about 15 items instead of just the two I want to share. Is there anyway to present the final products to a group in a more streamlined way?

I think sharing the layers with the whole organization or everyone would be a solution but in this instance I am not able to share this data with everyone.

But if I can just get some confirmation that I am not missing a trick that would be good.

Thanks
Timothie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Hi Timothie,

If you don't want to share your web map and web app with all users in your organization but only a few people you don't have other option.

You can't assign users to each item in your content. It can only be managed by Groups.

One thing you can do is if you open your group, you have the option to choose the type of items you want to see (Maps, Layers, Apps, Tools, Files). This types can be used in the URL, just type &focus=maps after your group URL:
arcgis.com/home/group.html?owner=OWNER&title=GROUPTITLE&focus=maps

If users open this URL they will only see the web map types in the group.

Akos
0 Kudos
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II
What if you made a new group that only contained the map/layers you wanted to cleanly share? Then just invite the same people as in the other group. Its a pain because they all have to go respond to another Invite Request, but it keeps from cluttering up the other group.
0 Kudos
AkosKisreti1
Occasional Contributor
Actually there is no need to send an invite. If you are an admin you can simply add users to a group.
0 Kudos