Map Service Suddenly Requires Password

09-25-2013 06:49 AM
MichaelGlassman2
New Contributor III
I have been working with the ArcGIS JavaScript API for a few months using the same HTML file. Without changing any code, I am required to input my username and password when I open the HTML file in a browser but previously I did. Is there a setting in the Server Manager or just a change in API that might have caused this change to happen? I would like to be able to open the HTML file without entering in my password each time. Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZachLiu1
Occasional Contributor II
Check your web service from ArcGIS Server Manager.

If you see a small lock icon, click it to open security setting and set it to public.

If you haven't changed anything, that maybe the problem.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
zach is right on the mark, i've seen a few cases in which server manager needed to be reminded that all services were public after an unexpected shutdown.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Is this a bug with ArcGIS Server software?  If so, what version(s) does this affect?
0 Kudos
ZachLiu1
Occasional Contributor II
I think it is a bug. I have met this problem before- services turn from public to private without any notice, maybe after a shutdown as John mentioned.

The version I used is 10.1.
0 Kudos
JohnGravois
Frequent Contributor
i personally don't log bugs until i've been able to reproduce an error :). 

i agree that it seems inappropriate that ArcGIS Server would ever choose to enforce security on a site when it wasn't previously enforced, but given the simplicity of resolving the problem, the behavior seems a lot more desirable than if ArcGIS Server chose to make sensitive resources public when it started up incorrectly.
0 Kudos