AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dynamically Select Feature in Map with Python Addin

Question asked by johnmdye on Sep 24, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2013 by johnmdye
Hi guys,
I'm trying to create a Python Addin to allow a user to dynamically select a feature in the Map Display Window in ArcMap, grab the ID of that feature and populate it in a variable, then select from a second feature class the features within the second feature class which have that ID, exporting those features to a new FC and then symbolizing with a layer file and adding the result to the data frame.

Here's what I have so far:

import arcpy import pythonaddins mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("Current") df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd)[0]  class ShowMe_This(object):     """Implementation for ShowMe.This (ComboBox)"""     def __init__(self):         self.items = ["Predictive Trade Area", "Existing Trade Area", "ReDomiciled Customers"]         self.editable = False         self.enabled = True         self.dropdownWidth = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'         self.width = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'     def onSelChange(self, selection):         global FeatureGeometry         global SelFC         if selection == "ReDomiciled Customers":             FeatureGeometry = "Point"             SelFC = r"C:\ArcGIS\SYSTEM\COF\Data\MyGeodatabase.gdb\Customers"         elif selection == "Predictive Trade Area":             FeatureGeometry = "Polygon"             SelFC = r"C:\ArcGIS\SYSTEM\COF\Data\MyGeodatabase.gdb\PTAs"         elif selection == "Existing Trade Area":             FeatureGeometry = "Polygon"             SelFC = r"C:\ArcGIS\SYSTEM\COF\Data\MyGeodatabase.gdb\ETAs"         else:             FeatureGeometry = ""             SelFC = ""     def onEditChange(self, text):         pass     def onFocus(self, focused):         pass     def onEnter(self):         pass     def refresh(self):         pass  class ShowMe_LikeThat(object):     """Implementation for ShowMe.LikeThat (ComboBox)"""     def __init__(self):         self.items = ["Red", "Blue", "Orange", "Green", "Purple", "Pink", "Yellow"]         self.editable = False         self.enabled = True         self.dropdownWidth = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'         self.width = 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'     def onSelChange(self, selection):         global Color         Color = selection     def onEditChange(self, text):         pass     def onFocus(self, focused):         pass     def onEnter(self):         pass     def refresh(self):         pass  class ShowMe_ForThis(object):     """Implementation for ShowMe.ForThis (Tool)"""     def __init__(self):         self.enabled = True         self.shape = "Rectangle"         self.cursor = 3     def onRectangle(self, rectangle_geometry):         global SelExtent         SelExtent = rectangle_geometry  class ShowMe_Execute(object):     """Implementation for ShowMe.Execute (Button)"""     def __init__(self):         self.enabled = True         self.checked = False     def onClick(self):         # Establish a reference to the appropriate Layer File based on the users selections         LYRfile = r"C:\ArcGIS\SYSTEM\COF\Data\Layer Files\ShowMe" + "\\" + FeatureGeometry + "\\" + Color + ".lyr"         print LYRfile         if FeatureGeometry == "":             pythonaddins.MessageBox("You must select a Feature from the 'Show Me This' drop-down menu.", "ERROR", 0)         elif Color == "":             pythonaddins.MessageBox("You must select a color to symbolize the feature from the 'Like That' drop-down menu.", "ERROR", 0)         elif FeatureGeometry == "" and Color == "":             pythonaddins.MessageBox("You must select both a Feature from the 'Show Me This' drop-down menu and a color from the 'Like This' drop-down menu.", "ERROR", 0)         else:             pass         # How do I select the feature from 'SelFC' that falls within the extent provided by 'SelExtent'???

Problem is, I can't figure out how to use the extent generated by 'SelExtent', which is really just the 'rectangle_geometry' produced by the tool, to select the particular feature from 'SelFC' that falls within the extent.

I'm thinking maybe I should use onCircle instead as that produces a polygon object I might be able to do a Select By Location with for an Intersect, but thought I would see if any of the big brains here knew better...

Thanks in advance

Outcomes