Any Suggestions - Inverse Polygon

09-20-2013 10:27 AM
DK5
by
New Contributor III
OK, I have a request to have the map area shaded (grayed out) and have a rectangle for an area where it is not grayed out and in edit mode (like that is the active area).  The idea is that the user would be able to resize the rectangle area (active area) and the outer gray area would adjust accordingly.  Any suggestions on how to accomplish this? 

I was thinking of having 2 polygons, one for the grayed out map area (which could be the whole US or just the current map extent) and somehow put a hole in it for the active area.  And in that hole I would put another polygon (rectangle) that would have the edit tool resize handles.  When it is resized, the gray outer polygon would adjust opposite, so the user could increase or decrease the active area and it would adjust both polygons.

I am not a GIS programmer, so just wanted to get any ideas you folks might have on accomplishing this.  Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
On another train of thought.

Using Data Driven pages.

Have it clip the area that does not intersect your data area.

If you have a polygon layer that you are using as your area of need you can re size it and re-run data driven page set up.

Or you could base your data driven pages on a point feature and determine the diameter of the area shown and still clip.
0 Kudos