Density maps for smoke dispersion

09-19-2013 09:03 AM
JoanColon
New Contributor
Hi,

I am new using  ArcMAP and I was wondering how can I create a geostatistical analysis or spatial analysis using excel tables the problem is that these tables contain particle matter values for smoke but there are no lat/lon values. There is any possibility that I can create a density (concentration) map? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
Joan,

Without any spatial information, it's going to be hard to put it on a map.

How exactly is the data formatted in Excel? You say each row in Excel contains particle matter values.  So I am assuming the values are for a particular spatial area or volume.  That particular space is the key here.  Once that is determined, we can move forward with how to get the Excel values into ArcMap for analysis.

Chris B.
0 Kudos
JoanColon
New Contributor
Joan,

Without any spatial information, it's going to be hard to put it on a map.

How exactly is the data formatted in Excel? You say each row in Excel contains particle matter values.  So I am assuming the values are for a particular spatial area or volume.  That particular space is the key here.  Once that is determined, we can move forward with how to get the Excel values into ArcMap for analysis.

Chris B.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I attached you a screen shot for your reference. Thanks
0 Kudos
JoanColon
New Contributor
I attached the excel table for your reference. Thanks for the help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27597[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
ChristopherBlinn1
Occasional Contributor III
Alright, so it appears you have sensor information for 6 locations in Washington.  This is your spatial information.

What concerns me now is the type of data you want to show as a density for only 6 locations through an entire state.

If you are new to ArcGIS, you have a few hurdles to get over to achieve what you are wanting to do.  To be honest, it goes beyond the scope of what these forums are really meant for.  It would be different if you were just needing information on mapping 6 locations in Washington, OR bringing in an Excel table to map in ArcMap, but your request is a combination of both, plus a few other tasks that are beyond beginner steps in ArcGIS software.

I recommend taking this approach.  Create a worksheet where your Excel data is transposed, and get some spatial information for each of your locations.  You can use Google Earth or even Wikipedia to get some simple Lat/Lng coordinates for each.  Make two new columns in Excel, one for Lat, the other for Lng, and add those values for each.  From there you will have a MUCH better start to accomplishing ANYTHING in ArcMap.

Other things to keep in mind will be simplifying your column names, removing erroneous rows and columns (so that all you have is a simple datasheet with basic column names and NO formatting).  From here, look at this resource page to help bring your table into ArcMap.  Once you have done this, come back to the forum and make a new post if you're still having trouble figuring out where to go.  At least at that point you will have overcome some of the necessary things to move forward.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Chris B.
0 Kudos