sthomps2

Polygon to Raster issue!

Discussion created by sthomps2 on Sep 19, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 by sthomps2
I'm trying to create a 0/1 raster in 10.1 where anything that is a polygon has a value of one and anything that is not has a value of zero. The polygons were created from a large point shape file that I put a buffer on. The buffer was dissolved and resulted in a total of 4 polygons. In the attribute table, I added a field called "count" and made all rows in the field = 1. The value was integer.
Then when I used the "polygon to raster" tool, the input was the polygon (4 total) layer, and the I chose "count" as the value field hoping the raster produced would have a range of values from 1 to 0 where anything that was a polygon was 1. I chose none for the priority field and cell center for the cell assignment type.
After an extremely long processing time, the raster returned to me had a max value of 2147483647 and min value of -2147483647. I don't understand why it did not just return a raster of a max of 1 and a min of 0 when I specified the value field to be count. Could it be because when I made the "count" field in the polygon layer I used integer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this should be simple!

Thanks so much

Sara

Outcomes