Slow geocoding on locator stored in SDE

Jump to solution
09-18-2013 12:00 PM
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II
All,

I've created a single field locator in our SDE based on an SDE point file of ~280,000 points.

When I geocode against this locator, the performance is *extremely* slow.

When I create the locator in a folder on my hard drive, based on the same SDE point layer, the performance is much faster - or normal.

I can't find anything regarding storage of a locator in SDE. I'm wondering if I'm missing a setting, perhaps a configuration keyword, that would speed things up a bit.

product versions:

- ArcGIS version 10.1
- SQL Server 2012

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thank you,

-mb
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

Your observation - that file-based locators are faster - is correct.  Esri recommends file-based storage of locators if you want performance.  The use case for SDE storage is the rare situation where you have frequently updated reference data also used within a locator.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
A couple of years ago it was recommended to me to keep locators out of a geodatabse.  I keep them in local and or network drives.  They often reference SDE feature classes or they may reference replicated data in a fgdb located in the same local or network drives.  Everything I do is in ver 10.0.  I dont have a point feature class nearly that big though.

My suggestion is go with what gives you the best performance; one way replication works very well for me where I store and maintain feature classes in the SDE but use them in a fgdb.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi

Your observation - that file-based locators are faster - is correct.  Esri recommends file-based storage of locators if you want performance.  The use case for SDE storage is the rare situation where you have frequently updated reference data also used within a locator.

Regards
0 Kudos