Splitting a single 4 core licenses.

09-17-2013 08:06 AM
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III
Hello everybody. So we are currently at 10 and looking to Migrate to 10.1. We have a single Server license for four cores. How do we split that license between 2 cores on two different machines. We understand that performance may be hindered while we do this but this will allow us to migrate at a more controlled pace. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Erik
0 Kudos
10 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Erik, ask your partner Esri for details of licensing arcgis server.
0 Kudos
JinZhang
New Contributor III
We've done that recently in our test environment. You don't "split" the 4 core license, you just authorize the same license number to both of the servers that have Arcgis Server for 10.1 installed.

Regards,
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
That's not a violation of your license agreement as you are now using 8 cores?
0 Kudos
JinZhang
New Contributor III
no, using a single 4 core license for two 2-core servers is not a violation of the license agreement.
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
My bad, I misunderstood the scenario.
0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Thank you Jin. I appreciate the response and your help.
Erik
0 Kudos
RamlaShihab
New Contributor II
you can also configure your server for  active passive mode where you can install arcgis on two machines
0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Thanks to you Ramla Shihab as well for your help. Is there any documentation out there that will show me how to configure my server for active passive mode....
0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Jin. When I authorize my licenses for both servers does it automatically split the licenses in to two cores for each server or do I have to specify this in the installation process.

Because right now we have a server running server 10. We just got a new server started which will have our 10.1 licenses installed on it. We want to do want you guys did as having the new server be our test environment. So that we can still have 10 running for our employees while we do the migration to 10.1. Any documentation that you could point me to or any advice that you could lend would be great. Thanks again
Erik
0 Kudos