Double Line symbol should represent the width of a road

09-17-2013 07:07 AM
NajyaBatool
New Contributor III
Hi,

Does any know how a double line symbol can be adjusted to show a specific distance in Arc 10?  I have a line feature class which is being used for roads.  I'd like to be able to show a double line indicating the extent of the road, having a distance of 5 meters in between, irrespective of zoom scale.  I cannot find a way to assign a distance between the two lines in my double line symbol.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Najya
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
You could use the Buffer tool with your road feature, just set the buffer distance to 2.5 meters. This would give you a 5 meter width around your streets.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
GregoryElwood1
New Contributor III
Not to hijack this thread (too much!) but does anyone have any good suggestions on how to get a good, cased, dashed-line-for-dirt-road-symbol going? And just to make it a real challenge, how about a dashed-line cul-de-sac symbol?

Gregory
0 Kudos
NajyaBatool
New Contributor III
Hi Gregory,  Don't know much about cased lines or cul-de-sac symbologies, but this blog might help you.

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2007/12/06/symbolizing-roads-with-cased-line-symbols-part-3-of-3/

Tim, thanks for the reference to the 'Ask a Cartographer' site.  Using Proportional symbols worked beautifully!  Unfortunately, I can't use it because Flex doesn't want to render the new symbol for some reason.  It actually causes the Edit widget to crash.  Granted, we're still using Flex 2.5 for this particular project, but I can't figure out why it wouldn't support this particular type of symbology.  Very frustrating, just when I thought I'd figured it out!

Thanks,
Najya
0 Kudos