In ModelBuilder, only says 'precondition' when connecting output of join to process

09-12-2013 09:41 AM
NicholasSeltzer
New Contributor
Hi there,
I'm trying to automate a complicated procedure in ModelBuilder. For some reason, after I do an 'Add Join' it appears that I'm unable to use the output as an input for another process. When I try to connect the output using the 'connect' tool, it only allows me to choose 'precondition'. Obviously, I want to connect it as 'input features' so I can continue the process of my model. Any ideas what's going on here?

Nick
0 Kudos
2 Replies
CharlemagneLosaria2
New Contributor
some tools require that the input be a feature class or layer. What you can do try using the tool "make feature layer" (creates a temporary layer) in between the add join tool and the other tool you are using.

If you want a more permanent solution (permanent layer with the joins) then try incorporating feature class to feature class after the make feature layer tool 

I am a noob on model building bu I may have encountered what you are trying to do, goodluck, make a Backup first 🙂
0 Kudos
FreddieGibson
Occasional Contributor III
I would suggest to look at the data types of the items that you trying to connect.  Usually you can get to this information if you right click on the input/output element, go to properties, and look at the Data Type tab.  The explanation of the types can get really detailed, but the short version is you want to make sure that the types match or are within the same abstract class. 

For example, if you tried to use a string value with a tool that required a feature class you'd see this same behavior.  In this case if you wanted to tie the two tools together without using inline variable substitution you would use the Calculate Value tool in between the tools because the Calculate Value tool will let you pick the output type of the data.
0 Kudos