Rotating Symbology with data frame

09-12-2013 02:33 AM
JustinBeynon
New Contributor
Hello!

I have point symbology (squares) that are not rotating with the data frame.

I have set the rotation field to df1.rotation to get correct values, but I have to re-enter the code everytime I rotate the data frame. Is there a way to make the code dynamic so every time I rotate the dataframe the coding updates and rotates the symbology as
well?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
Justin, use circles instead...
But seriously though.
My rotated symbols (these arrows are pointing in the direction given by an attribute) - pic 1.
Are rotated by the correct amount when I apply a df rotation as well - pic 2.
ArcGIS 10.1 SP1.

Cheers,
Neil
0 Kudos
KerryAlley
Occasional Contributor
I'm not sure why this works on my computer (10.1, SP1... it's probably a bug), but it's worth a shot:
Un-check the "Rotate Marker Symbols with Data Frame" option in the "Data Frame" tab of the window that comes up when you run the AdvancedArcMapSettings.exe tool (found in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\Utilities).  For some reason, on my computer the point marker symbols only rotate with the data frame when that option is un-checked, and line marker symbols only rotate with the data frame when that option is checked.  Weird, eh?  Rotating symbols with data frames supposedly only works if you set symbol rotation using the "Rotate Points by Angle in this field" option in the Symbology/Advanced/Rotation... window, so I chose the field "<expression>", and put the value 0 as the expression.  If you have another version of ArcGIS, maybe all you have to do is check the "Rotate Marker Symbols with Data Frame" rather than un-check it like I had to do.

I don't blame you for not wanting to write df1.rotation values to a Feature Class every time you rotate a data frame... that would make map automation rather inefficient!

Good luck,

Kerry
0 Kudos