ArcGIS Online for Organizations - One named user per license?

09-09-2013 07:20 AM
JessicaGooch
New Contributor
Hi-

I recently received an email that hinted that as part of your ArcGIS for Desktop license entitlement, Esri will be providing me with an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account for one named user per ArcGIS for Desktop license and one hundred service hour credits.

The email also said that I would receive an email "soon" with more information...I have not received a follow up email, does anyone have any more information?  When might this become available?

Here is the email I received:

We are excited to tell you about a new benefit of your ArcGIS for Desktop license maintenance. As part of your ArcGIS for Desktop license entitlement, Esri will be providing you with an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account at no additional cost.
With ArcGIS Online, your users get the following:
??? Access to a vast collection of ready-to-use maps and GIS services
??? Ready-to-use productivity apps for data collection, operational dashboards, Microsoft Office, and SharePoint
??? Easy-to-use mapping tools for creating maps that work across different devices
??? An intuitive collaboration environment for sharing maps and apps with others

An ArcGIS Online for Organizations account gives you a private instance of Esri's secure, multitenant cloud platform that's scalable and ready to use. You don't need to buy or install any additional hardware or software. ArcGIS for Desktop integrates seamlessly with ArcGIS Online, so the maps created by your GIS professionals can now be made accessible to others in your organization using the same system.
What Do You Get?
??? One Named User per ArcGIS for Desktop license on maintenance
??? One hundred Service Credits per ArcGIS for Desktop license on maintenance

Service Credits are the currency of the ArcGIS Online system. Each service credit entitles your organization to use a set amount of ArcGIS Online services, such as storing feature or tiled map services in Esri's cloud, geocoding, spatial analysis, and many others.
What Do You Have to Do?
Soon, you will receive an e-mail that includes the ArcGIS Online for Organizations account activation link and additional information. Click the link to activate your account and start by inviting other users. See the ArcGIS Online Help for more details on how to get started.

Sincerely,

The ArcGIS for Desktop Team

Thanks 🙂

Jessica
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Jessica,

thanks for posting that! I always wondered how it will work. I know that the organization I work for already has their Online Subscription set up, through those free accounts. So it seems they might be working with big organizations first and then with single users?

Tim
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
FYI, if you have an ELA with ESRI you don't get any additional name user licenses no matter how many desktop licenses you have 😞
0 Kudos
PaulDoherty1
New Contributor III
For more information - please see this website :http://www.esri.com/software/maintenance/benefits/agol-entitlements

Customers with ArcGIS for Desktop licenses who are on maintenance are entitled to be part of an ArcGIS Online Organization Plan. Every Desktop license on maintenance counts as one Named User for the plan. Alternatively, if you want to implement Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS for Desktop licenses on maintenance are entitled to be part of the Portal for ArcGIS Named User license.

You�??ll be asked to choose whether you want your ArcGIS for Desktop License Entitlements applied to an ArcGIS Online Organization Plan account or Portal for ArcGIS instance.

Qualified Licensing Programs
The ArcGIS for Desktop license entitlement for ArcGIS Online applies to customers with ArcGIS for Desktop �?? Perpetual Use or the Home Use Program [License must be current on maintenance].

More importantly, contact your Esri Rep to find out what it means from you from a policy perspective and a technology perspective. Like opening web maps in Desktop with curated content created by someone else for printing and disconnected editing, sharing Desktop templates as empty features services that others can use and modify for their own purposes...etc.
0 Kudos