otakudaiba

Points to Line attribute table only one row

Discussion created by otakudaiba on Sep 4, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 11, 2013 by johns
Hey guys

I'm currently tracking some animals with tags on them which give me each aniaml's lat and long daily along with a bunch of other info.

I want to work out the distance they are traveling between points (there's about 18,000 points once I remove the out-layers)

In the past I have created points via the x y of a txt file, followed by feature to points of the xy data to get a highlight-able attribute table and then points to line data. I would then have an attribute table detailing each line between 2 points.

However now I have upgraded to ArcGIS 10.1 and the points to line works fine, but now only gives me an attribute table with one entry. It's like the points to line tool is making one really long line that connects the dots as opposed to lots of individual lines that connect to make the overall track. (the feature to point layer still has all the entries for the points in its attribute table)

Is there something I can do to get a proper attribute table like I used to?

Also will the line attribute table calculate distance between each point or is there an extra step i need to take (can't remember haha)?

Thanks.
James

Outcomes