stsnider

Web Tier authentication for Single Sign-on

Discussion created by stsnider on Sep 3, 2013
I'm trying to setup authentication for single sign-on access to ArcGIS Server.  I'm on version 10.2 for Server and Desktop.  In ArcGIS Server Manager, I have enabled Web authentication tier and mode.  With IIS on the Web Adaptor setup for Anonymous Authentication on the arcgis directory, a test user can see the root directory but not a secure directory (which it has permission to).   With IIS on the Web Adaptor setup for Windows Authentication on the arcgis directory, a test user cannot see any of the map services...cannot even connect.  The user is prompted for their username and password over and over.   I've tried setting the root directory to Public as well as "Private, but allow access to all users logged in".  Neither work to allow the test user to access map services when Windows Authentication is set on the web adaptor.  I tested this connection while logged into Windows as the test user. 

My understanding of single sign-on authentication is that by using Windows Authentication on the Web Adaptor server and the Web Tier authentication (setup through Manager), ArcGIs Server would recognize a user when they try to access map services by looking at the existing credintials of the user (how they are logged into their computer).

What am I doing wrong?

Outcomes