Editing point features in a zipped shapefile

Jump to solution
09-03-2013 09:42 AM
SamKrueger1
New Contributor III
My Scenario:

1) I've uploaded my zipped shapefile with a few traffic data point features to my web map

2) When I go to edit these point features (to add more to the map) the label under my point in the edit menu shows up as "New Feature"

3) I want this to be unique, I've labled the point features as "CONGESTION" (I'm indicating areas of traffic congestion) and would like the layer lable to read "CONGESTION" when I enter the Edit interface of my Web Map.

The end goal with this webmap is to provide a service at a public hearing so people can physcially come up to the computer and place points of "CONGESTION" on the street of interest. Would be helpful if the features were labled more uniquely in the Edit session of the Web Map besides being labled as "new feature".

Has to be an easy fix. right!?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Sam,

before you upload your data the first time add a field named, CONGESTIONS and add one sample point and write in the field CONGESTION. This means you will have a field named CONGESTIONS with a sample point which has CONGESTION written in it.

Now upload that layer.

Once uploaded, go to "Change Symbols" for that layer. Under "Use:" choose "Unique Symbols" and as "To show:" choose your "CONGESTION" attribute field. Click "Done Changing Symbols"

Now when you start editing it should read CONGESTION instead of New Feature.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Sam,

before you upload your data the first time add a field named, CONGESTIONS and add one sample point and write in the field CONGESTION. This means you will have a field named CONGESTIONS with a sample point which has CONGESTION written in it.

Now upload that layer.

Once uploaded, go to "Change Symbols" for that layer. Under "Use:" choose "Unique Symbols" and as "To show:" choose your "CONGESTION" attribute field. Click "Done Changing Symbols"

Now when you start editing it should read CONGESTION instead of New Feature.

Tim
0 Kudos
SamKrueger1
New Contributor III
Forums are the shit! Thanks for the solution!
0 Kudos