How useful is 'Disabling the service directory' option?!

08-27-2013 12:17 PM
PF1
by
Occasional Contributor II
Disabling the service directory  seems to only block access with the HTML return type.  Any savey GIS user who knows to access the root with f=json (or f=pjson) can still index the entire site including all folders and services.  Same with any web-crawlers/spiders that automatically index the site. 

I guess my interpretion of this would have been like disabling directory browsing with web-servers, but this only disables HTML browsing.  Is this the intent?  And if so how useful is that?

Our goal:
Publish a service but do not make it browsable.  Once someone 'higher up' reviews the service and approves it then make the service accessible in our simple interactive Javascript/HTML based web-application.  If the user uses a fiddler tool (or browser debugging tools) to reverse engineer the links we dont really care once it had been approved.  Using the 'disable the service directory' option above does not really meet these requirements because I'm sure spiders/bots/crawlers could still index it and savey GIS users could still list all contents with the f=pjson and/or f=json return format types. 

Only way I see us meeting the goal above is to either:

1. Enable security.  Grant specific roles access and add the 'reviewers' to the roles.  Disable the security once the service is 'approved'

2. Build a second arcgis site on our internal network with no security enabled (not worried about internal staff accessing the services).  Allow reviewers to review the content an once its approved 'push' it out to external/mirror site. 

3. Use a Web-Application Firewall (WAF) type device to restrict the non-approved content. 

All 3 options above have somewhat significant downsides (either managing users/roles and enabling HTTPS, building a completly seperate environment, or managing rules on the network WAF).  It would seem that something which truly disabled browsing access to the services (either over HTML or JSON return types) would meet these needs and the risk of someone 'stumbling' onto a link would be quite low. 

Any advise/Feedback?  Thanks!
Tags (2)
2 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
as you said use this option for not publicize via html your service. You don't want that your server to be searchable from search engines. You want use your server but you don�??t want to publicize that your server is accessible to others.
so for your goals you can use one of your options.
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is this still the case with 10.6.1 and 10.7?

0 Kudos