Model Builder - preconditions

08-23-2013 12:36 PM
AndreaBoyco
New Contributor
I am building a procedure using the model builder, but I have a problem with some tools that require the feature class to be created previously, and sometimes even showing in the table of contents of my project.
I have tried setting the preconditions but it still won't work.

I've had this problem up to now with "select attributes" and with "join fields". Is there any way to set the model for this to work?

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
I am building a procedure using the model builder, but I have a problem with some tools that require the feature class to be created previously, and sometimes even showing in the table of contents of my project.
I have tried setting the preconditions but it still won't work.

I've had this problem up to now with "select attributes" and with "join fields". Is there any way to set the model for this to work?

Thanks

You don't want feature classes to be created? You can try setting it to "intermidiate" then it won't be saved, just used in the model. (just right click the green circle/file created)
0 Kudos
AndreaBoyco
New Contributor
no, that's not what I meant.

For example, during the procedure I want to select rows from a feature class that I created one step before; but because that file doesn't really "exist", the select tool won't run.
0 Kudos
AmyKlug
Occasional Contributor III
Try Make feature layer:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00170000006p000000

the input will be your output that doesn't exist yet
0 Kudos
AndreaBoyco
New Contributor
Thanks, I'll try
0 Kudos