Is It Possible to add Geo-Located Tweets as a Layer?

08-22-2013 07:06 AM
IanMalczewski
New Contributor
I'm working on a project that's researching where people like to sit (or avoid sitting) in an urban neighbourhood. I thought an interesting way to do this would be to ask community members to tweet (and geotag) photos of these places, which would then appear automatically on an ArcGIS map of the neighbourhood. I've created a hashtag and sent a test tweet, but none of the ArcGIS templates are showing it. (I've tried all three).

Is this a bug in the program, or is there a lag? Is it possible I'm doing something wrong?

I searched the forums quite a bit for an answer but didn't find anything...
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
Are you using the social media web app template? I've had it work for me. Just tested it again and it seems fine.

Make sure you enable location on your twitter account. The default is usually not to use location (which is why only a fraction of tweets are geotagged).
0 Kudos
IanMalczewski
New Contributor
Thanks for your reply.

I am using the social media web app. I set it up to search for a hashtag that I created and tweeted from an account that has permission to publish location information, but it's not showing on my map. I also searched for a different hashtag, one that's really popular, and barely any tweets came up even though there's something like 20 a minute, many of which have a location attached to them.

The only thought I had is that I'm viewing this in Preview mode, not in Publish, but I don't see why that would effect the app's ability to pull in data... Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong?

To recap:

- I enabled location-based tweets in twitter
- I sent a test tweet with my hashtag and made sure I turned the location on.
- I signed into Twitter in the Social Media Web App and changed the default search from 'weather' to my hashtag
- Scrolled to the location the tweet should appear...
- Saw nothing. Despaired.
0 Kudos
BondHarper
Occasional Contributor II
I started noticing problems after you mentioned this. I had to update my Twitter app on my phone. Appears to be working with the update again. However, I have to make sure GPS is turned on, and then there are 2 different places to enable location in the app (I have Android). Really annoying to get the public to use because I feel like most people will have trouble getting the geolocation to work (and who knows how often it will break if they don't update their app?). Seems like a Twitter issue more than an AGOL one (but that is just my tiny experience). I wonder if anyone else has actually used this Web Mapping App in "the real world"?
0 Kudos