Loading Map thumbnails from secured ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
08-21-2013 05:37 AM
ThomasSvitil
New Contributor
Hi Forum,

I am building an iOS App that provides a selection of multiple maps including a thumbnail to every map.
If a user clicks one, this map is loaded to the mapview.
Before the server was secured, i retrieved the name of the thumbnail from the Map-JSON i retrieved from the server, built the right URL (like http://<server>/arcgis/mobile/content/items/<THE_MAP_ID>/info/thumbnail/thumb_mapname.png) and fetched the thumbnail manually.
However, since the server is secured this method does not work, because i need the credential to access this server-area.
Loading maps etc. with the credential works fine.
Is there any possibility to load the thumbnails via the ArcGIS iOS SDK?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
You'd have to make the HTTP request on your own to fetch the thumbnail. The SDK does not fetch it for you.

You can use the AGSRequestOperation class; this class makes it easy to make custom HTTP requests. If you give it a properly set up credential, it will also take care of performing the authentication for you when  making that request

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DiveshGoyal
Esri Regular Contributor
You'd have to make the HTTP request on your own to fetch the thumbnail. The SDK does not fetch it for you.

You can use the AGSRequestOperation class; this class makes it easy to make custom HTTP requests. If you give it a properly set up credential, it will also take care of performing the authentication for you when  making that request
0 Kudos
ThomasSvitil
New Contributor
Hello technobrat,

thank you very much for you answer.
It solved my problem quite well 🙂
I should have read the documentation more careful.

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
arronlee
New Contributor
Did you use the SDK that technobrat recommeded to you to creat thumbnails? Did it woek well? I suggest you try to choose one whose way of processing is simple and fast to help you creat thumnails. It will be much better if it is totally manual and can be defined by users according to its programming tutorials. Try its freetrials first if possible. I hope you success. Good luck.

Best regards,
Arron
0 Kudos