Video Card impact on web scene creation

08-20-2013 03:11 PM
AlexThomas1
New Contributor II
I'm trying to generate webscenes from my existing ArcScene documents using the new geoprocessing tool in ArcDesktop 10.2 :
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00q9000000np000000

I'd like to cut down the time it takes to actually create the webscene, and my research makes it seem that the video card can play a large role.  Does anyone have experience with video cards reducing the time it takes to generate a web scene?

Also, what video card would be optimal for generating web scenes?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

The graphics card is not used in the creation of the WebScene. So you can not use the graphics card to create such a scene faster.

You only use the graphics card to display a WebScene. So the faster your graphics card, the more fluid it is displayed.

Those are 2 different things. 🙂

A good graphics card would be any NVIDIA graphics card. I usually recommend GeForce models, e.g. GeForce GTX 670 and newer. E.g. everything >=1 GB onboard RAM ( Video Ram ).

ok ?

m.
0 Kudos
AlexThomas1
New Contributor II
Thanks Matthias,

As you said, the video card plays no impact on the web scene generation.  However I did notice that the tool pegged the hard drive rather hard.  It would be great to have the option to generate the webscene in memory (RAM), so that processing time would be cut down.

We're doing some pretty cool stuff with the CE Web Viewer and the new tool that exports ArcScene docs to WebScenes.   The better the performance is, the farther we can take this tool.

Thanks again!
0 Kudos