Map Page Load Time

08-19-2013 11:34 AM
Labels (1)
EthanGill
New Contributor
Hey everyone,

I'm just starting to play around with arcgis for wpf and have implemented a solution which uses page navigation. One of the pages incorporates a map but  when one navigates to the page it loads quite slowly (maybe a couple seconds).

Now I've used background workers to display wait/loading animations but as this is on the UI thread what is the best way to convey to the user that the map is loading?

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Ethan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnttiKajanus1
Occasional Contributor III
One thing that affects quite a lot for loading the map is how you define your layers. I would recommend to have have Map control in xaml and then define layers in code. This way you can have some kind of indicator on top of map control while layers are being loaded.

You can use LayerCollections.LayersInitialized event http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/apiref/index.html?ESRI.ArcGIS.Client~ESRI.ArcGIS.Cli... to see when all layers are initialized and then put layers to the map.

For busy indicator, you can set indicator on when the page is loaded and then take it of when you add layers to the map. I usually have some 3th-party BusyIndicator control defined on top of the map and then I just enable it and change visibility accordingly.
0 Kudos