How to show parcel boundary / polygon dimensions using geometry services

08-17-2013 04:56 AM
Labels (1)
ArielLomes
New Contributor III
Hi,

I'm trying to create a button in my application which will enable me to select a parcel in a parcel layer, then will create labels around the polygon marking the lengths of each side and the angles.

I've already managed to calculate the lengths of each side by breaking the polygon of the parcel into polylines, measuring the difference between each ring in the polygon (essentially each vertex).

However, I'm completely lost as to how to label these lines with the length I've measured.

The easiest solution would have been, ofcourse, if there was some way to use the MeasureAction using the polygon rings as the vertices. However, from what I gather, it's impossible, right?

So now I'm left with a way to label those polylines - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

ArielLo.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

The best way to label these polylines is to use the GeometryService operation LabelPointsAsync to generate the point at which to place the label, then display the text with a TextSymbol.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/apiref/index.html?ESRI.ArcGIS.Client~ESRI.ArcGIS.Cli...

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
ArielLomes
New Contributor III
Hi,

The best way to label these polylines is to use the GeometryService operation LabelPointsAsync to generate the point at which to place the label, then display the text with a TextSymbol.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/runtime-wpf/apiref/index.html?ESRI.ArcGIS.Client~ESRI.ArcGIS.Cli...

Cheers

Mike

There is not enough documentation on the subject in this board or anywhere (of labeling). I managed to put labels but I need to wrap them to be snapped to the polylines.

The end result of what I want should look like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26813[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the reply though. Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

There's currently no support for full labelling of client-side graphics within a GraphicsLayer or FeatureLayer. In the meantime, graphics can be labelled with TextSymbols. You might also want to take a look at this sample for geodesic measuring: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/silverlight-api/samples/start.htm#GeodesicOperations.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Hi,

We are working on a labeling design which will eventually be rolled out across the ArcGIS Runtime SDKs (excluding WPF) - you can see a preview of this in the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET beta, although in the beta it is quite a limited API. Therefore we welcome input e.g.:
- Types of layers/objects you would like to label?
- Placement control you need?
- Display properties you would like to set?
- Behavior you would like the labels to exhibit?
- Interaction you expect to be able to have with labels in the map?

You can email on mbranscomb@esri.com if you would prefer to contact me directly.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos