Right-Click Crashes Excel Until Signed-In

08-12-2013 02:29 PM
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
This morning I upgraded to ArcGIS 10.2 and after the setup I had to open an Excel file from a colleague.  I was trying to get rid of some extra row and columns and as soon as I would right-click in the spreadsheet the program would crash.  If I left-clicked the column letter or row number I could delete using the Cell functions on the Home tab.  The original spreadsheet was saved as xls so I did a Save As to xlsx and tried the same right-clicking routines and got the same crash each time.  I probably tried a dozen variations in the troubleshooting process.

On a hunch, I signed in to ArcGIS on the Esri Maps tab and tried right-clicking.  It worked fine.  I signed out and right-clicking still worked even after closing the document and coming back in.  I can no longer duplicate the error.

I'm not saying there is a connection to the two, but the coincidence couldn't be ignored.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JasonBalmut
Update:
I'm replying to my own thread, but it seems pertinent.  Today Excel was crashing on right-clicks and I could not use the trick to log in to ArcGIS (another crash on click) so I uninstalled Esri Maps for Office and it quit crashing.

If it crashes again without the extension then something is wrong with Excel, but right now my hunch is still the Esri extension.
0 Kudos
Jason_RobinsonRobinson
Esri Regular Contributor
Update:
I'm replying to my own thread, but it seems pertinent.  Today Excel was crashing on right-clicks and I could not use the trick to log in to ArcGIS (another crash on click) so I uninstalled Esri Maps for Office and it quit crashing.

If it crashes again without the extension then something is wrong with Excel, but right now my hunch is still the Esri extension.

Jace,

What versions of Microsoft Office (also if 32-bit or 64-bit) and Esri Maps for Office are you working with?

Regards,
Jason R.
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Jason,

Sorry for the delay in the message.  I actually uninstalled Maps for Office because it was interfering with my work.

Microsoft Excel 2013 (15.04454.1503) MSO (15.0.4454.1504) 32-bit
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1  (System Type: 64-bit Operating System)

With a 32-bit MS Excel I should be using the 32-bit Maps for Office?

Jace
0 Kudos
deleted-user-85EXsJSLyVvT
New Contributor

Still a problem with office 365

0 Kudos