Features Limit

Jump to solution
08-06-2013 09:45 AM
DougParent2
New Contributor II
I have a shapefile with over 1000 features and I was wondering if there is any way around this so I can publish a map with this data. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Dividing your shapefile into smaller shapefiles may not work... The 1000 feature limit is really a limit per web map, not per layer. Also, it's not an imposed limit on public accounts, but rather a technical limit of a client's ability to draw features.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62176-Who-can-make-this-ESRI-S-reply-simple-and-easy-to-understand

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
If you don't have an organizational account, I think the only thing you can do is divide your layers into less than 1000 feature layers. How many features do you have?
0 Kudos
DougParent2
New Contributor II
I am working on an organizational account and I have 2 different shapefiles I am working with, each is for a different map. One has 1344 features and the other has 1500.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
I think for right now I would just divide each shapefile into smaller chunks.

If you have an organizational account you can host a feature service through ArcGIS Desktop, which can have more than 1000 features.

Without an organizational account, but with access to a ArcGIS Server, you can host a feature service yourself and add it to your ArcGIS Online map.
0 Kudos
EricGreen
New Contributor

Do I take this to mean that even an organization account cannot hold more than 1000 features per layer?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

No, hosted feature layers can contain many more than 1000 features. 1000 features is a rough guideline for drawing the layer on the map, as the features are drawn as graphic elements by the browser, mobile app, etc. You just need to appropriately set scale dependencies. For example, you probably wouldn't want to draw parcels if your looking at a map of the whole country.

Thanks,

Mike

DougParent2
New Contributor II
Great advice I did not think of that. Breaking them down should work perfectly, Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Dividing your shapefile into smaller shapefiles may not work... The 1000 feature limit is really a limit per web map, not per layer. Also, it's not an imposed limit on public accounts, but rather a technical limit of a client's ability to draw features.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62176-Who-can-make-this-ESRI-S-reply-simple-and-easy-to-understand

Thanks,

Mike